A Math Word Wall PEMDAS Mobile

PEMDAS mobile tor a math word wall

Some ideas seem so simple but for some reason have details that take forever to work out. This PEMDAS mobile was one of those ideas. For a long time I had wanted to find a way to show that division and multiplication and subtraction and addition can switch order depending on which of the pairs comes first in an expression. I love mobiles because they are dynamic. So a PEMDAS mobile just seemed like a good idea!

I know that PEMDAS is a little controversial and that a lot of teachers would rather use a different acronym, or maybe forgo acronyms altogether in favor of Order of Operations. In my experience, kids understand that brackets are used to line up grouping pairs, similar to computer coding. Still, if you like GEMDAS, BIMDAS or BEMDAS, I included a G, I and a B that can be subbed in for the P.


PEMDAS mobile tor a math word wall

The first thing I did was color then cut out the 8 pieces. I like rainbow theme, but you can color it to match the theme of your room. I printed on thick paper, almost like that oak tag we all used to pine over in the 1980s.


PEMDAS mobile tor a math word wall


I then flipped one of each P, E, MD, AS piece face down, put glue in the center and ran a ribbon down the middle on the glue.


PEMDAS mobile tor a math word wall

Next came the matching pieces glued on top and then a big book to flatten for a bit. 

PEMDAS mobile tor a math word wall

I only flattened for about 5 minutes in case some pieces stuck together, which they did. The glue was still wet to they were easy to peel apart. 


PEMDAS mobile tor a math word wall

And here's the final product! If I were to make it again, I might use a thinner ribbon so the pieces could move more independently of each other. I also made the mobile match my other math word walls so that it can be used as a supplement. 

Subscribe to blog

* indicates required




I teach:



math word walls

You can download the PEMDAS mobile for free here. You can also check out my math word walls for 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade, Algebra, Geometry and Algebra 2.  Here is a photo of recent Algebra word wall updates. 


Algebra word wall


4 comments:

  1. Just perfect and exactly what I need. Also, love the mobile idea and wouldn't have thought of that on my own. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! I hope it helps kids see that M/D and A/S switch. I hope you have a great year!

      Delete
  2. I was trying to get the free mobile download but it sent me to the pennant download.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue "here" in the last paragraph will bring you right to it. :)

      Delete

Comment