Math Pennants are a fun way to show off student work

When my students feel good about themselves, they try harder. And when they try harder, they do even better. I really believe that math is all about confidence. Sure there is skill involved, but above all else, kids do better when they are confident that they can.


Golden Spiral Back to School Pennant

To me, building this confidence starts from Day 1 of each school year. Here is a Golden Spiral Back to School pennant to get kids excited for a year of math! 


Math Boss pennant for student math confidence

This editable Math Boss pennant gives kids confidence as they look forward to their year (or prepare to take tests). I've made so many math pennants that you can check out in this bundle. (Each one is available separately).


ordering Real numbers pennant

When my students feel confident in their abilities it makes my job a whole lot easier. This is why I feel so strongly about displaying student work in my classroom. It acts as a constant reminder to my students that Yes, you Can do it! This ordering Real numbers pennant came from a teacher request


FREE Order of Operations Math Pennant

The greatest thing about Math pennants is that they boost student confidence while also adding to classroom decor. There is nothing better than being able to point at a student's work as a reminder that he or she CAN do it. And students don't even know they are working hard. They're a lot of fun without being at all intimidating. (That one up there is a free Order of Operations pennant.) There is another free pennant in the sidebar.



This Algebra pennants mini-bundle contains pennants for slope, solving equations, factoring and domain and range. 


Math Pennants are a fun way to show off student work. This measurements conversions pennant has plenty of places to color while doing math.

This conversions pennant came from another teacher request. Students convert both metric and customary measurements. And this ratios and proportions pennant also came from a teacher request:




Ratios and Proportions pennant

Here is a set of place value pennants:


Place Value Pennant

And geometric transformations:



A teacher asked me to make her a pennant covering GCF and LCM. I hadn't remembered how tricky finding LCM was! This one was fun to make.


GCF and LCM pennant

In my classroom, we have a designated area called The Fridge where students proudly display their graded papers. This area becomes even more important because math disabilities can sometimes make these good grades very hard-earned. My favorite is when a student immediately gets up to hang their good grade without me asking. This is what it's all about.


Pythagorean Theorem Math Pennant

I like incorporating student work right into the classroom decor itself. This is a win-win because kids love math pennants and they keep engagement high, which makes teacher life easier! 

"Teachers at my school keep asking where I got this idea. I couldn't take the credit. Hope you keep up the good work."

"Great activity. The students loved it and so did I. Kept them engaged and learning! Thank you!" 

This regular polygons pennant came from a teacher request:


Regular polygons pennant

This solving systems of equations pennant was another from a teacher request. Students solve systems with elimination or substitution. The elimination questions require one, both or neither of the equations to be multiplied.


Systems of Equations pennant

Here's a heart-shaped slope-intercept pennant for Valentine's Day.

Slope-intercept Hearts Math Pennant

Pennants are a great way to celebrate holidays while not losing a day of Math. Some are specific to holidays.


graphing linear equations ornament

Here is a graphing linear equations ornament pennant to decorate for the holidays. Kids can also add optional bows and holly.


Christmas Fractions Math Pennant

And here is a Christmas fractions pennant where students convert between improper fractions and mixed numbers and color to show the amount. 


Pi Day Math pennant

I have posted all of my holiday pennants on this post

Holiday Math pennants

Glitter Meets Glue Designs had an irresistible set of spring flower clipart that I incorporated into an exponents pennant. When I taught Algebra 1 we would always simplify exponents when the weather started getting nice.

Exponent Rules Math Pennant

In my current position, I teach Special Education Algebra 2 and Consumer Math. Teaching financial literacy is super important to me so I added in some credit card default and student loan defer questions to this set of Compound Interest pennants.

Compound Interest Math pennant

Integers are so tricky, even for older students! There are 3 problems on each pennant so that students can practice seeing the relationship between positive and negative numbers.

Integers pennant

A friend of mine from The Math Dyal sent over this great photo. A student who hardly does work created this masterpiece. It's of my Systems of Equations pennant for graphing and it made me so incredibly happy to hear the story behind it.


Systems of Equations pennant

My students worked really hard during our domain and range unit this year. What better way to show off their hard work that with some fun Algebraic classroom decor? :)


Domain and Range Pennant

And what 6th grader wouldn't LOVE a chance to color? In this pennant, students practice finding volumes and surface areas, as well as areas of irregular shapes (gardens and apartments).


Volume and Surface Area Math Pennant

This pennant came from a teacher request for one to help her students convert scientific notation


Converting Scientific Notation pennant

And this "My Advice to Next Year's Students" pennant gives your current students the opportunity to give advice to next year's students. What have they learned over the year that would be helpful for next years kiddos as they first walk into your room? 


"My Advice to Next Year's Students" Pennant end-of-year activity


All of my math pennants can be found in this hugely-discounted Math Pennants Growing Bundle. Each pennant in the bundle is also individually linked for download.

 Math Pennants Growing Bundle



20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words! :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to order this, but some of the math concepts are too high for my students. Do you have something for easier concepts, with differentiated lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be creating more for additional topics but I've been sticking mainly with Algebra topics that are familiar. If you have a topic you'd like me to look into to make a pennant for I'm up for it!

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 06, 2016

    Since most school are requiring common core standards to be on all things we do, I think having pennants that correlate with each standard would be great. I think making them grade specific especially for the younger grades would be extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I'd love to help make the standards more fun. If you are comfortable with suggesting some standards for me to focus on, I'd gladly trade you some pennants for free:) scaffoldedmath@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. As a third grade teacher, I'd love to see some that focused on repeated addition as a method for multiplication introduction, place value through the thousands, introducing types of angles and lines, reading various types of graphs (bar graph, line plot, etc). These pennants are awesome.

      Delete
    3. Katie, I have a question about repeated addition. Would you be able to email me at scaffoldedmath@gmail.com?

      Delete
    4. YES! I would love to see this too!! If you do/did this one please let me know.
      Lisa
      wrightls@marshallk12.org

      Delete
  4. Katie you're amazing. These are great suggestions. As a thank you I'd love to send them to you for free as I make them. scaffoldedmath@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing! I can provide you with pics of the kids work after they are completed through the year :). Thank you!

      Delete
    2. That would be great! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! These are gorgeous! I would love to be in a math classroom decorated with these! All my high school math classrooms had the occasional poster and not much else... Thanks for linking up with Spark Creativity, this is an awesome example of creative pedagogy to share with our community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for allowing me to link up! I appreciate your kind words! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. WOW!!!!!!! These are great! I homeschool my younger son with special needs and great interest in Math. So I am always looking for great ideas to make our learning time brighter. We keep a bulletin board with reminders of Math concepts. From now on we can make it in form of pennants. I specially love the Pythagorean one. Do you have a volume, capacity, and mass pennants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So I was a little ambitious thinking I'd be able to make science pennants as well, but a friend of mine has been making them. I can send you her contact info if you send me an email. I'm at scaffoldedmath@gmail.com.

      Delete
  7. Saludos ¡Buen trabajo!!! Desde México

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a blank editable pennant? I would like to add each standard that I teach and add to my wall?

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 16, 2017

    On the Algebra factoring penenat, what is the QR Code for?

    ReplyDelete

Comment