Making Scientific Notation Fun in the Secondary Classroom



Scientific Notation is one of those things I don't at all remember learning. I mean, it must have happened somewhere along the line, but where that was is a complete mystery. Maybe it was during those foggy junior high years when I was much more concerned about the height of my hair and keeping my skirts from clinking to my pantyhoes. Anyway, when a teacher asked me last year to make her some some Scientific Notation pennants, I decided after a bit I'd be up for a challenge. It's fun [re]learning new things. 


Learning new things is fun

A couple months ago when another teacher asked if I could make a few extra pennants for dividing Scientific Notation that were a little easier, I made her a set of 10 that her struggling learners could do and feel successful. You can find them for FREE in the "freebies!" section of the sidebar of my blog --->



They're labeled #31 through #40 and can be used along with this set of 30 Dividing Scientific Notation pennants that are in my TpT store. 


Scientific Notation pennant bundle

If you are looking for pennants for all types of work with Scientific Notation, I also put together a discounted bundle with 120 pennants for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing scientific notation.


Knowing that I was going to write this post, I asked some friends if they have any resources that make learning and practicing Scientific Notation fun. Tyra from Algebra and Beyond highly recommends these Scientific Notation Stations from Free To Discover. There are 6 stations that give practice on all sorts of Scientific Notation problems.


Scientific Notation Stations from Free to Discover

Kara from Learning Made Radical has this fun, fall-themed coloring activity that covers multiplying and dividing in Scientific Notation


Multiplying and Dividing Scientific Notation Problem Color By Number Activity from Learning Made Radical

and a Scientific Notation foldable to help kids remember what to do with that pesky decimal. 


Scientific Notation to Standard Form and Vice Versa Interactive Notes Activity from Learning Made Radical

Mandy from Math Dyal makes awesome puzzles that get kids engaged in their learning and her Scientific Notation puzzle does just that: 


Scientific Notation Tarsia Puzzle from Math Dyal


And here are some other resources for teaching and practicing Scientific Notation:



1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I love your bundle with 120 pennants so teachers and students can mix and match operations!

    ReplyDelete

Comment