Domain and Range Intervention!

Domain and Range in Special Ed Algebra 2


A few days ago I foolheartedly blogged all about the great domain and range learning that would soon be happening in my classroom. Eeeert, stop the record! Abandon ship! Abandon ship!

Domain and Range are always hard, but this year? Whoa. I'm getting my you-know-what handed to me by the coordinate plane. For whatever reason, my cohort of kids all seem to have visual-spacial troubles so graphing is really, really hard for them. Even plotting points is tough. So when it comes to domain and range, it's going to take a lot more practice than I have ever given before. 

Scaffolded activities
My plan today was to give a Domain & Range scavenger hunt to assess student understanding, but we're going to need a little more practice first. Seeing domain and range - especially range - of a graph is proving to be particularly difficult for my students this year. Assessing now didn't seem fair. To give a bit more practice before grades, I made these extra domain and range practice cards (you can find these cards in the "freebies" section of the sidebar (link to my dropbox)>



Practice, practice
To give my students extra practice without making it feel like endless practice, I printed  the cards you see in the picture on fun blue paper. I set a stack on each student table to share and gave each individual student an answer sheet. Everyone also had to identify which graphs showed functions and which didn't. I saw a lot of good work that made me really hopeful! I think their confidence improved, too:) 


Algebra 2 absolute value write around

Down the road some...
For even more practice, my Algebra 2 students completed a collaborative activity with absolute value graphs (seen above). This activity worked as a sort of "Math write around" where each student in each group added what they could to the graph. The little pieces of paper were for students to add: domain, range, increasing, decreasing, y-intercept, x-intercepts and the function. My students were SO ENGAGED with each other during this activity - way more so that I had anticipated! I heard so much great Math talk as they collaborated. 


domain and range in Special Ed Algebra 2

Domain & Range as... decor?
Absolutely! How fun would it be to finalize a unit on domain and range with a domain & range pennant activity that doubles as class decor? Kids LOVE seeing their work hanging in the classroom and the constant reminder that "Yes, look! We CAN!" is a great confidence boost!


Domain and range mini-bundle: matching, scavenger hunt, pennant


8 comments:

  1. I like the Domain and Range Task Cards, that will be a fun activity for kids and an easy tool to help them remember how to visualize and denote D and R. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Seeing Domain and Range on a graph is the hardest for my students so this gave them a little extra practice on a Friday when motivation was at a week-low. HA! They were practicing without practicing:)

      Delete
  2. Love this. I so know how it feels to not have everything go as planned. Will definitely use these when we get to domain and range. What a treat!

    Cheers,
    DocRunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think this being my 4th year teaching this class that I'd be able to anticipate what kids will need. Nope! Every year is totally different!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience as a reflective educator! Great example of adjusting plans in order to meet the needs of students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, you have great stuff! I find that every year my group of students have different troubles than pervious years. It definitely keeps me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this year especially for me. I swear if I break it down any further I'll be at the molecular level. But it's gotta happen and it's pushing me to be better! I love your stuff too! :)

      Delete

Comment